Friday, June 6, 2008

Ya'll are so lucky.

What can I say. The New York Times actually got something right. On their top 31 places to go this summer they picked the Texas Hill Country as their top getaway!


“Thus, here are 31 options — from river rafting in eastern Oregon to biking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire — for a great summer vacation. Not one involves the terrifying conversion of dollars into euros, many can be enjoyed without ever getting on a plane, and the road trips are ones that actually justify filling up your tank, even if the price of gas hits $5 a gallon this summer.


1. TEXAS HILL COUNTRY

Who needs Europe? The Texas Hill Country, west of Austin and north of San Antonio, might be the next best thing to crossing the Atlantic. The region is lush, colorful and, unlike much of the pancake-flat state, dotted with beautiful green hills that are evocative of Tuscany or the south of France (with less pussies) . Moreover, the region is speckled with 22 wineries (www.texaswinetrail.com) that buzz with food and music festivals year round. And towns like Fredericksburg offer a taste of the Old World, with German-style biergartens and schnitzelhäuser."


Now, we that have lived here our whole lives have known this for years, but it always takes the NYT a while to figure things out. So for all you peeps comin down or up or sideways to the Conservative Writers Annual Texas Function (does that help any CD?) just drop your thanks in the comments to Supergurl for giving you bragging rights at work. When your co-workers start bragging about going to Florida or California or the South of Wales, you can bitch slap them with “Oh yeah I’m going to the NYT #1 vacation spot this year, so suck on that.”

See ya’ll in 20 days, you lucky bastards.

15 comments:

CharlieDelta said...

THANKS Supergurl!

Anonymous said...

I've said it for years. If I ever move back to Texas, it would be right down there in hill country. Even though I was born and raised in Dallas, I fell in love with the Travis/Bexar/Comal counties many years ago. Oh the hell I would raise if I ever returned home. Wow. Time for another shot. Cheers, CD and Supergurl!

CharlieDelta said...

Cheers back at cha Paul! Don't bogard that doob, dude...

SuperGurl said...

bogard? wtf, cd? i thought it was bogart?

and last i heard, which was admittedly a while back, nobody bogarted a doob via their hidey hole.

i always heard it used as hoarding, not hiding. as in, that's a joint not a microphone AND NOT is that a quarter of kind bud up your hidey hole or are you just happy to see me?

discuss?

Anonymous said...

Well I don't see any other way to fly high without getting busted by the TSA.

And, Supergurl, hoarding? Hidey hole hoarding what? Hidey can hide (although I probably could never stomach the idea of doing that to myself) but hidey can't hoard.

I was so hammered last night when I wrote that other post. My buddy and I stumbled across an unopened bottle of Crown Royal and...well...the rest is history. It was like finding gold at the end of the rainbow. My kids are pissed at me right now because they had a hard time going to sleep. The stereo was loud, and I have a powered subwoofer from hell. Damnit! You can't hear the stereo while you're in the hot tub unless you crank it up!!!! And then we got into a fight over the Iraq War. I want to finish the job and he wants to run. Whiskey and politics don't mix well. Sorry kids. I'm making it up to them today. We're off to the roller coasters. cya.

CharlieDelta said...

Alright! I was gonna say "bogart", but I wasn't sure. It was a lonnnnnng night last night. Cut me some slack wuld ya, Supergurl...?

SuperGurl said...

Not a chance, CD!

I still haven't recovered from figuring out paul trolled me over at the GOC. we made up and all, but still.

Ya'll, please click the camper links. Some folks have still not checked in, I'm getting a little concerned. So click away, ok?

SuperGurl said...

oh, and exactly, paul.

hidey can't hoarde. that's what i meant. the bogart reference (CD's) is about not sharing or hoarding, not evading TSA by using your hidey hole(your point of reference)as a secret underground railroad. that's all I meant.

if anybody bogarted my bud that way i would not be nice to that person ever again. see?

CharlieDelta said...

Paul trolling over at the GOC? Say it aint so...

Anonymous said...

Well, there may have been a little misunderstanding a few months ago. And I got into trouble. And I'm still in trouble. And I'll be in trouble at the blogmeet. And I'll still be in trouble 20 years from now. Supergurl said that she was going to kick my ass. To protect the guilty, I won't post the secret words to type into Google. But I'm sure Supergurl will tell you all about it while she pummels my punk ass around midnight into the Guadalupe.

Supergurl dug up this dead horse after my name and email address looked too familiar when I signed up for the blogmeet. So Supergurl and I already have some history.

Is this awesome or what, CD?

CharlieDelta said...

HA HA! I remember that one Paul. You sure did put your foot in your mouth on that one didn't ya? I was impressed on how Supergurl handled that one gracefully. I would've told you to GFY, but then again, that's just how I roll...

Startin' to get fired up!!!! See ya in 18 days MF's!

kerrcarto said...

All this talk about bogarting has me wondering, To bogart or not to bogart is that the questiion.

CharlieDelta said...

Hey, can't we all just get along? At least until AFTER we smoke the Doob? I hear they got some good shit up in Seattle...

Matt G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Matt G said...

About 12 years ago, my best friend and I piled some camping gear and a couple of golf bags into the back of a Firebird and rolled down to the Hill Country to do a little river-side camping, drinking, golf, drinking, tubing, and drinking.

As we paid at a tiny little side campground, and bought a skillet for our stove, an old man walked in and began talking to us. Nice guy, with an easy Central Texas drawl. As Scott and I conferred on whether to get another bag of ice (displaces beer in the cooler, but keeps it colder... Hmm. More calculus was in order), he began to speak to the middle-aged matron of the establishment(who had just given me a Band-Aid for the injury I had created whilest cutting me a tent stake). The two of them eased into quick, Texas-twinged German for a couple of minutes before he nodded, saluted us, and left.

"My father in-law," she said.

Damned nice to know that the Sons Of Hermann are still out there, amongst the Texas hills.