Saturday, June 14, 2008

Handling the Heat

Well, last year may have been wet, and on the cool side, but this year it's going to be hot and dry. That means, unless we get a big rain system, there will probably be a burn ban, which will mean no fireworks. I think we'll still be able to have a fire in the firepit, as that is a controled area, but alas....no bottle rockets. Which is a shame, as I'd looked forward to fireworks so far from city lights.

Everyone needs a hat, one that will cover and shade your face and, if you have short hair, your neck as well. Otherwise, you're going home as a red-neck, no matter what.

Sunscreen is your friend. Personally, having about as much melanin in my skin as a terrorist has mercy in his heart, I'll be using as high an SPF as I can find. Sigh. I'll be reapplying often.

The water in the Guadalupe will be very cool, so if you enjoy getting in the water, it will be a good way to cool off. Swim suits are not optional. At least, they will be during the day, night time is negotiable.

Another good thing to have will be some mosquito repellent. If you're flying in, I think we'll probably have enough to share. That could probably be said of the sun screen as well.

'Pup and I have some extra umbrella chairs, and will be bringing them. We also have some forks for toasting marshmallows...so I guess we'll need some graham crackers, chocolate bars and marshmallows.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and talking to all hours of the night, fishing and just hangin' out, hearing Denny sing...listening to everyone's stories.

Just 2 more weeks. Till then, think hard about rain.


6 comments:

SuperGurl said...

great job, nancy!

i'd like to add something. while the rocks are shallow and beautiful, they are slick and in places the current strong enough to pull you down.

you will be miserable in the water without strappy stay on water shoes.

i wear flip flops, but i lose a couple pair every year to the river.

Anonymous said...

Are you gonna be able to wheel me down by the river?

Nancy said...

Denny, Supergurl said we can both wheel on down.

I'm looking forward to being somewhere accessible to the Guadelupe. Haven't been able to get there for a few years.

SuperGurl said...

Denny & other interested folks.

we can drive a car down to the riverside. now as far as not drowning your ass goes, i don't know that i want to be involved.

still, there is a stone platform near the stairs into the river, so yes, you can be as close as you want to be.

can not wait.

CharlieDelta said...

Weather sounds perfect. I'm used to being in the desert in the middle of July/August/September, so I'll be able to hang with the weather, but thanks for the head's up. I have a pretty decent tan rollin' right now so I'm not too worried about gettin' burned, but my feet never see the light of day, so any extra sunscreen would be appreciated, and remind me to warn you to put your sunglasses on when I'm not wearing socks. It's like looking at the reflection of the sun bouncin' off a mirror.

Actually, if there's a Quick-Mart on the way out to the spot, I can pick up my own stuff like that. I'm gonna need toothpaste anyways, and maybe a Monster bottle of Excedrin and God only knows what else. That is, as long as my shuttle driver doesn't mind...

I'm still trying to figger this one out though:

"Swim suits are not optional. At least, they will be during the day, night time is negotiable."

So does that mean that they ARE optional during the day? You don't have to worry about seeing my skinny ass nekkid, but damn, I don't wanna see ANY nekkid dudes "hanging" around scarin' the fish away. BWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHA!!!

CharlieDelta said...
This comment has been removed by the author.